Regarding recent forum 'lag'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKNeoDio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone,

As most of you have noticed, our forums have been running a bit slower than usual since last Friday, which was when I submitted a support ticket to Hostgator, this was their response given to me on Saturday.

Hostgator said:
Hello there,

We're terribly sorry for the confusion, frustration, and inconvenience this has caused you as well as for the delayed response as we are experiencing higher than normal ticket volume at this time and are working to address each request as soon as possible.

Recently, a Wordpress update was automatically pushed to all Wordpress installations via Wordpress' upgrade mechanism. Unfortunately, this caused quite a bit of load on the servers with Wordpress installed on them as well as some MySQL connectivity issues as well.

Once we found the cause of the issue, there was unfortunately little that could be done other than letting them complete as stopping these upgrades before they completed would have broken those sites.

At this time, your site seems to be loading without any apparent issues. More information about this issue can be found at http://forums.hostgator.com/wordpress-3-9-2-security-release-t324253.html

Please let us know if you experience any issues or have any questions or concerns.
Thank you for your patience,
Regards!

SKNeoDio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Here's another reply from Hostgator:

Hostgator said:
Hello Luis,

It doesn't appear as though the Wordpress updates are causing the issue at this time.

I was able to visit the site and can confirm that it is taking a while to load the forums. I performed a repair and optimize on the database which seems to have helped a little bit, but I also noticed that there are many tables with more than 10,000 records each:

---------------------------------------------------------------
| Tables | Columns | Total Rows |
| adminlog | 7 | 31928 |
| contentread | 7 | 28194 |
| cronlog | 5 | 114535 |
| ipdata | 8 | 28194 |
| phrase | 9 | 16658 |
| pm | 6 | 22037 |
| pmtext | 11 | 19707 |
| post | 17 | 45714 |
| searchcore | 10 | 52350 |
| searchcore_text | 3 | 52350 |
| searchgroup | 6 | 10970 |
| searchgroup_text | 2 | 10991 |

If you have had many members join recently, a lot of post activity, or have added any new features to the site, this could be causing a large number of records to be made which will ultimately slow down the operation of the site as those records are read or those tables are written to.

It appears that the database itself is the cause for the slowness as the site has seen many slow queries over the last 24 hours:

[+] Checking ---------------------
[-] ------- killed 7604 times.
[-] ------- killed 90 times in past 24hrs.
[-] ------- was first killed: Mon Aug 5 21:09:02 2013
[-] ------- was last killed: Mon Aug 11 17:12:01 2014

If possible, we recommend cleaning up the database and creating indexes for the tables where possible. In addition, I see that many of the tables are MyISAM and we recommend converting those to InnoDB if possible to take advantage of InnoDB's ability to due row level locking instead of table level locking like MyISAM does.

Please let us know if you experience any issues or have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
The Hostgator technician who responded to my ticket, along with myself and Wesley, have already executed several maintenance operations in order to improve the forums' performance, however, they were still running a bit slow today.

I have temporarily disabled the forums' search function, which was visibly overloading the forums. The forums' speed has increased significantly, but they still lag a bit.

Please be patient while we solve this matter permanently.

Thank you all for your patience!

Wesley

Forum Administrator, DR's Webmaster and Treasurer
Staff member
I myself and Neo are working on getting the forums back up to speed. Hopefully we can fix it.

~Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.